Sunday, June 17, 2012

Inspired to be retired just like Jack Sharkey

Clergyman Harry Emerson Fosdick is credited for saying ~  "Don't simply retire from something; have something to retire to."  As Jorge and I begin our adventures with our Vizsla, Natasha Rose, we have now included in discussions of our eventual retirement a dream of becoming even more involved with the breeding, showing and field and trial training/competition. In my researching on the topic I came across the incredible Jack Sharkey of Rapidan Vizslas and his dogs, Chartay, AKC's first quintuple Champion and hall of famer, Hunter, Huntly, and Lady Brinkley. Yup, when I grow up and slow down I want to be just like Jack! And to think, he lives in northern Virginia where we we had our home prior to moving to Chile.



Jack's website includes many articles on the accomplishments of his dogs and his retirement to dog raising, training and handling.  In 2006 he also wrote and published Winning Ways -- Training your Pointing-Breed for Hunting and Competition (Read a review of the book here). I can't wait for our copy to make its way here.





No comments:

Post a Comment